BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, November 24, 2008

Freeing the Demons

I went for my first NET session today. I don't exactly understand it, but my instinct is telling me that it's the missing link (or at least a really big part of it) to resolving some of my health issues. I don't know much about it, but I do know that it's proven fact that emotional experiences can (and do) elicit physiological responses. Memories of emotional trauma can replay those physiological responses even though you're not presently re-experiencing the trauma. Over time, the protein replication that goes on in all of your cells is altered and it actually changes the way your body functions as a whole. This can influence a lot of different processes, whether it's digestion, sleep, hormone production, or anything else. And apparently, memories of emotional issues can get locked away, unresolved and festering, for a long, long time...

I didn't exactly know what to expect in detail, but I had dutifully watched the loaner intro DVD at home, so I at least had a pretty good idea. It doesn't take long. The doctor (chiropractic) adjusted my spine and then I sat in a comfy chair and held my arm out. He told me to resist while saying different words or phrases and pressing on certain points. Sometimes I could hold my arm up and sometimes I just couldn't. It's not that he pushed harder; it's just that my own resistance was temporarily gone. Some of the results surprised me. He isolated some memories and some blocked up acu-type points, sprayed the inside of my mouth with a mild refreshing homeopathy preparation, and adjusted certain points of my spine with a soft tool that clicked. He said there may be a change in emotions over a period of time, because the body has to process everything that just happened. I knew what he was talking about.

I didn't feel anything different at first. It wasn't until I reached the parking lot that it came. My mouth tightened up as though I was trying to smile widely, laugh, or cry, and it ended up that all three happened at the same time. I didn't freak out; it was the emotional release the doctor mentioned. I've had many of these emotional releases before, and I knew that it was a possible--even probable--aftereffect. Although I was somewhat crying, no tears fell; a dry cry, as I've come to call them. Sometimes just the heaving is enough to release, and at other times, the tears do come. I reached the truck and drove back to school with the radio off so that I could process everything undistracted.

Now, a couple hours later, I have to say that I feel a bit more confident and sociable. A little less intimidated by other people, situations, and life's pressures. Working through these emotions and traumatic events will probably take a little while; some of them have been stored inside for a couple decades. But I think I'm on my way. Today was a really good first step.

0 comments: